Swiss Style Reboot
• Talk in the panel “Principles of Information Design” at 6:00 pm. at the “Information Design and Data Visualization Boston 2013” symposium at the Northeastern University in Boston.
Information Design and Data Visualization Boston 2013 is a one-day symposium featuring exhibition tours, movie screenings and presentations by 20 distinguished speakers, on topics ranging from wind maps to the visualization of biological and urban data.
The event is taking place on June 20, from 11:00 am-9:00 pm, at Northeastern University in Boston. It is open to public and free. RSVP recommended.
Information Design and Data Visualization Boston 2013 was developed out of SwissInfographics’ exhibition project Swiss Style Reboot. This origin is embodied by the symposium’s logo: the SwissInfographics cross turned into a network diagram.
• Nicolas Bourquin is invited to give a conference at Mudam, Musée d’Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean in the context of the designfriends event series.
Mudam Luxembourg, 3 Park Dräi Eechelen, 1499 Luxembourg
Wednesday June 12th, 6:30 pm. – 9:00 pm.
The aftermath of the financial crisis provoked a deep confidence crisis on a global level. The strategic, creative decisions of media corporations and companies are more and more led by doubts or anxiety. Therefore, companies and institutions seek new methods to visualize their activities or processes, and consequently advocate for more transparency. However, they struggle to provide the necessary financial resources to be able to develop high-quality, innovative solutions for the masses. So far, most of the commissioned infographic projects did not prove to be financially viable.
In spite of (and because of) this situation, we are involved in a rethinking process to understand the differences between earlier forms of collaboration and more sustainable contemporary working methods. Design is a narrative that can change how people approach the world.
Save the date and register!
• Conference at the HAW Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg, in the context of “Stilvorlagen 8 – Eine Vortragsreihe zu Design und Gesellschaft”
19:00, HAW Hamburg, Department Design,
Aula der Armgartstraße 24, 22087 Hamburg
Admission: 2,00 – 6,00 EUR
Am 16. Mai wird Nicolas Bourquin zu Gast sein! Der Designer, Publizist und Mitbegründer der Grafikdesign-Agentur onlab kommt nach drei Jahren erneut zu den Stilvorlagen.
onlab steht vor allem für innovatives Editorial Design, stellt sich aber zunehmend den Herausforderungen des Informationsdesigns. Transparenz und Anschaulichkeit schaffen Vertrauen und werden immer wichtiger in der Kommunikation von Unternehmen. Dieses Arbeitsfeld verlangt vom Designer ein interdisziplinäres Verständnis, das Qualität und Synthese von Informationen und deren Darstellung unmittelbar beeinflusst. Onlab verbindet die ästhetische Inszenierung komplexer Inhalte mit didaktischer Funktionalität und – das ist das Besondere – einladender Emotionalität.
Nicolas Bourquin wird uns anhand neuer Projekte einen Blick in den aufwändigen und zeitintensiven Arbeitsprozess des Gestaltens von Informationen gewähren.
Reporter Without Borders, Year Book – Launch
• May 3rd is the International Day of the Press Freedom! We designed the fourth edition of the year book of Reporter Ohne Grenzen (German section of Reporters Without Borders) and we are glad to invite you to the launch of the magazine at the Do you read me ?! Reading Room
Friday May 3rd, 7 pm.
Do you read me ?! Reading Room,
Potsdamer Strasse 98, Berlin
Olivia Arthur (Magnum Photographer) will present the work she realised in Saudi Arabia (featured in the year book).
onlab present the first issue of GRAFT – a new magazine-in-magazine on materials
• GRAFT is a magazine on materials written by lateral thinkers. By bridging information between researchers, producers and creative professionals Graft Magazine encourages lateral thinking.
Each issue will be distributed locally with a cooperating magazine. Consistent with the idea of cross-disciplinary thinking this hosting media partner will differ with every new edition of GRAFT.
Graft Magazine is a supplement on materials. The hosting magazine, the topic and the supporting partners compose the significance of GRAFT.
The current issue with contributions by Vasco Mourao, Martin Krammer, Maria Morais and Brazilian artist Marepe is presented in cooperation with Brownbook magazine. It is distributed in Milan with Brownbook issue No38; March-April 2013.
With FRUIT we discuss the impact of fruit and its components giving inspiration to diverse fields such as materials research, design and art. Find out how the multifunctional design of fruits vivifies new material developments.
The topic FRUIT refers to the exhibition JUICE that is presenting a fresh selection of galleries, editors and designers during the Salone del Mobile 2013 in Milano (Italy). JUICE will be the setting for the launch of “Fruit”, the juicy issue of Graft Magazine in GARAGE MILANO, Via Maiocchi 5/7, Milano (MM1 P.ta Venezia). The show runs from April 8th-14th 2013, 11.00am – 9.00pm.
Editors: Nicolas Bourquin, Thorsten Klooster, Andrea Wiegelmann, Michela Pelizzari and Federica Sala
Making-of: Infografik und die neue Rolle des Gestalters
• Nicolas Bourquin is invited by the Muthesius Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Kiel (Germany) to present onlab’s work in the field of infographics in the context of a 4 days Workshop with the Bachelor and Master students.
The lecture: “Making-of – Infografik und die neue Rolle des Gestalters” is open to the public and will take place at the “Kesselhaus” at 6pm.
Muthesius Kunsthochschule, Legienstr. 35, 24103 Kiel, Germany
Diagrams: Images as models of knowledge
• Nicolas Bourquin is invited by the Bielefelder Kunstverein to present onlab’s work in the field of infographics in the context of the current exhibition “Diagrams” that enquires the worlds of images and the strategies of visualisation in art.
“Diagrams. Images as models of knowledge”
Saturday 19.01.2013, 12:00 am.
Bielefelder Kunstverein, im Waldhof, Welle 61
33602 Bielefeld, Germany
The Exhibition “Diagrams” is open from November 10th 2012 till January 27th 2013. The works exhibited at Bielefelder Kunstverein make relations to diagrams, examples of cartography, notations and other graphic models visible. With contributions by: Ruth Buchanan, Gerhard Dirmoser, Philipp Hamann, Nikolaus Gansterer, Luis Jacob, Eva Kotátková, Michael Najjar, Alexandre Singh, Marcus Steinweg und Jorinde Voigt